Why do you care?

The following excerpt from an article published in The Huffington Post has a profound message:

"A young man once came to Menachem Mendel of Kotzk. 'Rebbe, I can no longer believe in God. I can't believe in God because the world is so filled with pain, suffering, ugliness and evil. How could there be a God in such a world?!'


'Why do you care?' asked the Rebbe.


'What do you mean, why do I care? How could I not care? Innocent people suffer; the world is ruled by cruel people. Why does God allow it?'


Again, the Rebbe inquired, 'But why do you care?'


The young man screamed out: 'Someone has to care! Someone has to see the pain of the world and cry out! If not, all the suffering is meaningless. I care because I want a better world, not only for my children but for all children!'


The Rebbe responded, 'If you care that much, then God exists. You see, God exists in your caring.'"


Link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-laura-geller/acts-of-god-a-jewish-pers_b_842215.html

Comments